Tag Archive | lady skater

Improving on Primark

I haven’t bought anything at Primark for about 5 years now (I got fed up with stuff disintegrating in the wash and having to put the zips and buttons back in pretty much as soon as I’d bought something) however I did used to acquire the odd amazing item.

one such item was this black and white skater dress I picked up about 6 or 7 years ago.

IMG_6209

on the hanger it doesn’t look like much and, its come apart at the side seam so much its probably unwearable these days. But back in the day it was one of my star dresses. It cost me about £3 but everyone who saw me in it was like, ‘omg thats a really nice dress, & really suits you.’

However I was never satisfied with it. The lace on it was virtually made out of dishcloth string, the polka dots were painted on as raised lump rather than dyed or woven into the fabric, & the skirt was a good couple of inches too short.

(close up of the skanky lace and painted on dots – now massively cracked and faded)

So the idea of remaking this came to me a fairly long time ago. Basically as I came across the Kitschy-cooo lady skater dress, which I have made multiple times in its long sleeved incarnation (hereherehere and here) I also picked up a random job lot of lace collar appliqués from the local fabric stall. The issue then was finding a decent polkadot jersey to make it in.

This was harder than you’d think. For about two years the only options on the fabric stall I came across were also painted on dots, annoyingly so were the options at Rolls and Rems, which charges a lot more, so I really wasn’t impressed. I tried looking on the internet, but the only fabric that made it clear the dots weren’t painted on was some horrifically expensive Japanese double sided fabric, which looked lovely, but far too decadent for what I needed. But eventually I found quite a small quantity of jersey from the fabric stall and although the dots were the wrong size it was finally a black and white polkadot that was good enough quality! (annoyingly I came across a larger quantity of jersey with the right size properly printed polkadots halfway through making the dress. Sods law I suppose!)

So here it is next to the original…..

IMG_6213

Not a completely identical match, but in terms of quality and length a massive improvement.

The only mistake I made with this dress was to leave the cut out fabric lying around for a bit too long. Thus I had to re-iron it when I finally got round to using it, & it stretched a little. But it wasn’t anything I couldn’t fix easily during construction.

& here it is on….

IMG_6196IMG_6197IMG_6201

Excuse the fat arms, I would normally wear it with some sort of cardigan. But I’m really proud of this, it looks exactly the kind of flattering and impressive the Primark number did when it was new. Only a lot more expensive/classy looking than if it came from Primark. But of course I only spent about £5 on the materials (Thank-you very much fabric stall) so its not actually any more expensive. This is why I love sewing!

At the moment I’m working on another cowl neck top – boring but necessary. I have pictures from SFX to post that I haven’t got round to yet, & Jon and I picked up the most amazing vintage wooden card index box from the street the other day – filled with lace! This will obviously need fixing up and blogging about at some point.

Oh yeah, I am now also on Instagram, as euphoricstimuli , about bloody time basically!

 

another skater dress- Burberry style floral

I made this a few weeks ago, but I’ve had a backlog of blogging so didn’t get round to  posting till now.

Anyway, I decided to stop making mock-ups of stuff and hoarding the nicest fabric in my stash waiting for the perfect project to come along. So since I’ve been doing dancing every week, I need a pretty endless supply of easy to dance in jersey dresses. so I thought I’d revisit kitschykoo’s Lady Skater Dress which I have made twice before (here and here), but make it in one of my nicer fabrics this time.

The fabric I chose was a grey floral number with a Burberry Tartan style border print. Which was great, and it preached nicely and everything was fine until I came to cut it and realised the skirt pieces of the Lady Skater Dress are quite severely curved, so I couldn’t put the border at the bottom of the skirt as I had planned. I suppose I could have changed the skirt for a rectangular gathered one, but I panicked a bit, and as I was absolutely determined to make a dress that day whatever, I put the check border print along the bottom of the bodice instead. In the event this was probably the most sensible choice as a barely had fabric to finish the thing by the time I’d cut it all, so a rectangular skirt wouldn’t have worked anyway.

So I finished it, and it was fine, but then I looked at it on the hanger and was really disappointed and thought I’d wasted the gorgeous fabric, and didn’t like it at all…

IMG_4161

So I sulked till Jon came home, and then tried it on and took some pictures…… and I’ve got to say although unprepossessing on the hanger, on me i love it!

floral ladyskater 3 floral ladyskater 2 floral lady skater

 

The line of check across the middle actually looks really nice I think.

Here is a close up of the check on the sleeves and the bodice..

IMG_4204

 

So yeah, its a little too long on the bodice, as the pattern runs slightly long on me anyway, and as I cut the fabric horizontally down the grain rather than vertically across it, because of the pattern, it has stretched slightly lengthways.

But I am really pleased with that, and its been worn pretty much within a day or so of coming out of the wash ever since.

I have another project cut out ready to go at the moment, but am not really in a sewing mood this week, so we shall see if it actually happens or not!